HERALD FRONT PAGE
A Congregation of the United Church of Christ
402.476.7565 I 2000 “D” St., Lincoln NE 68502 I Issue 2 I February 2017
Your pledge helps bring First-Plymouth’s mission to life
First-Plymouth is focused on the mission to increase (as in, ‘MORE’) the LOVE of God and neighbor. This fall, we celebrate the mission as we grow our resources to love more--do more—for more in our congregation and community.
Our voice as a church is a strong message to the world about the importance of a faith community that is caring, spiritual, inclusive and diverse. In the coming year, we can make our ‘voice’ even louder.
We have momentum, thanks to your past gifts of time, talent and treasure.
We are asking you to make a pledge this fall in support of the 2018 budget, and we are asking you to consider increasing your pledge for the coming year.
Consider this: Our congregation is growing, we have more worship, mission and outreach opportunities and new programs for kids.
First-Plymouth accomplishes a lot every day, day in, day out, all year long, and your financial support is very important.
The church budget doesn’t only cover salaries for our ministers and staff, utilities, speakers, missions, programs for children and youth, our music program, our television outreach—everything down to communion, coffee and cookies—those are pretty important—but it also covers our congregation’s pledge to the Food Bank’s Backpack program and Matt Talbot’s Kitchen and Outreach—and many more details.
By identifying our resources accurately in advance of the coming year, we can plan to do more in support of our mission—we can LOVE MORE. So our pledge goal for 2018 is $2.3 million. Ambitious, sure. Doable, definitely, if we all do our part.
Your Board of Trustees will start working on a responsible budget for 2018 next month, so by letting them know this month what amount you intend to give to First-Plymouth in the coming year, you will be helping a great deal in indicating how far we can collectively reach to accomplish MORE LOVE.
Because we are a congregation of 3,800, small increases in pledges really add up.
- $10 more per month, $120 per year, covers the cost of a funeral reception for a member in need, or helps purchase prayer candles for our 11:59 worship.
- $20 more per month, or $240 per year, covers a child’s food backpack all year.
- $50 more per month, or $600 per year, covers the cost of printing our Herald newsletter for a month.
- $100 more per month, or $1,200 per year, helps rent Kloefkorn Elementary for one month as the site of our FP East services.
And we’re certainly open to nice surprises.
Please consider increasing your pledge for the coming year, because:
- One more FP Kid needs your support.
- One more kid from a low-income household needs a Food Bank Backpack through First-Plymouth.
- One more person needs a faith community that leads them to help others.
- One more person who can’t get out of their home needs our TV ministry.
- One more homeless person needs our services and backing at Matt Talbot’s Kitchen & Outreach.
You will receive pledge information in the coming weeks. I hope you will respond with your heart as well as your head.
Because wouldn’t it be great if we all learned to love so much that everyone who passed through our doors felt held in the arms of God’s love? Mission accomplished.
Bob Campbell, Chair
First-Plymouth Development Council
MORE WAYS TO GIVE
There are several ways to give to First-Plymouth.
- In person—gifts may be given during worship or in the church office during business hours.
- Online at firstplymouth.org (select ‘Give Back’ for all giving options).
- Our staff can set up automatic monthly bank withdrawals.
- You can now text a gift to First-Plymouth. 73256 keyword FirstPlymouth.
- Stock transfers offer a tax-advantageous way to donate.
For more information: firstplymouth.org/give-back-1, or call Kristin Buntemeyer in the church office, (402) 476-7565 ext.207.