2013 Memorial Service for deceased pets: Sunday, September 8, 2013 at 3PM in the First-Plymouth courtyard
2013 Blessing of the Animals: Sunday, September 15, 2013 during the 11:59 AM service in First-Plymouth Church
We support no-kill rescues and shelters: "Adopt; Don't Shop!"
Community services for animal owners:
Lincoln Animal Ambassadors: 402.817.1168: Low cost spay/neuter; Pet food bank.
Roper Funeral Home: Pet Loss Groups: 402.476.1225
First-Plymouth Animal Ministry has limited funds to assist with veterinary costs. Please email Pastor Karen for information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Amazing Grace of Pets presents a new look into our spiritual connection with our companion animals. If you have ever opened your heart and soul to an animal, this book will provide stories and prayers to enhance and deepen that relationship. With increasing interest in the spirituality of animals and our understanding of the depth of their ability to relate, Pastor Karen’s book is on the cutting-edge of looking at that special connection.
Karen’s monastic background, coupled with her knowledge of biology and passion for all God’s creatures, give her a unique approach to ministering to the needs of pets and their companions. Her stories and prayers touch the heart and comfort the soul.
– Rev. Barb Smisek
$12.95 cover price plus shipping
Books may be ordered directly from Karen:
Check or money order to Karen M. Clarke
Send your order to Pastor Karen Clarke, First-Plymouth Church
2000 D Street, Lincoln, NE 60502
For more information or to pay via credit card, call Karen at 402.202.1476
or email Karen@firstplymouth.org
Books are also available through Barnes and Noble online or by order from your local Barnes and Noble store.
Faithful Friends Animal Ministry at First Plymouth
To provide resources, support and pastoral care to people and their animal companions.
- All persons and animals will be treated with respect
- Animals are sentient* beings and have feelings and awareness
- Connections between children and youth to their animal
companions will be honored in an age appropriate manner
- Support will be given to therapy animal groups and to the work of no kill shelters and rescue groups
- Provide support during animal illness and surgery
- Provide pastoral care at the time of animal euthanasia or death
- Provide funeral and memorial services
- Educate children and adults in the areas of respect for animals and the importance of animals in our world
- Plan and host an annual pet blessing ceremony
- Develop and provide tools for pastoral care with children and youth at the time of animal companion loss
- Develop connections between First Plymouth and animal
resources in the Lincoln community
- When funding permits, the ministry offers a "People and Pets Staying Together" Program to assist those in need with routine and short-term illness veterinary costs so that people and their animal companions may continue to be with each other
- A wonderful article on this topic may be found here: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/heavenly-encounters-animals-in-the-afterlife.html
- Quotes from Scripture that provide an indication of how important ALL creatures are to God.
- Do Animals Have Souls? Pope John Paul II http://www.all-creatures.org/ca/ark-186soul.html
*Definition of Sentient
sen·tient (snshnt, -sh-nt) adj.
- Having sense perception; conscious: "The living knew themselves just sentient puppets on God's stage" T.E. Lawrence.
- Experiencing sensation or feeling.
[Latin sentins, sentient-, present participle of sentre, to feel; see sentin Indo-European roots.]
Call for information about joining the Animal Ministry Committee or the Pet Loss Support Group.
Pastor Karen M. Clarke, MA, Licensed Minister
First-Plymouth Congregational, UCC
2100 D Street
Phone: 402.465.8796 (H) or 402.202.1476 (C)
View slide show of last year's Animal Blessing.